Peppermint Bark

A student gave me a bag of Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark. I brought it home and told Charlie not to open it because I wanted to save it for last minute present if needed. So what do I do? Open it. It was delicious and gone very quickly! So I had to make my own peppermint bark this year! This was so easy and delicious! The original recipe called for using 8 candy canes. I ground mine so fine in my food processor (the way I like it) that I only used about half of it! This was so yummy and a great alternate to the packaged stuff! I almost wish I had made a double batch! I used milk chocolate in mine because I'm not a big fan of dark. You could use either.

Peppermint Bark
Adapted from Novice Chef

17 oz. milk or dark chocolate baking chips
17 oz. white chocolate baking chips
1 tsp peppermint extract
4 Candy Canes, crushed

Line a 13x9 in pan with tinfoil and spray very lightly with nonstick spray.

In a double boiler, melt the milk or dark chocolate over low heat. When chocolate is smooth, remove from heat and add peppermint extract and stir. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Spread evenly and chill in refrigerator until soft set, about 30 minutes.

In clean double boiler, melt white chocolate over low heat. Add about half to 2/3 of the crushed peppermint to the chocolate and stir together. Remove baking dish from fridge. Pour over milk or dark chocolate mixture and spread evenly.

Carefully sprinkle the rest of the peppermint on top of the white chocolate to cover most all surface. Place baking dish back into fridge or freezer and refrigerate until fully set (3 – 24 hours). Remover baking pan from fridge. Lift candy in foil from pan and transfer to a cutting board. Peel off foil and break/cut candy into 2 inch pieces.