Chicken Pot Pie

Healthy recipe number two. We had a lot of leftovers from the pork loin and then went out another night. I really haven't had to cook much this week. So here is my second chance at cooking healthy. I wouldn't say this is super healthy because of all the milk and the crust, but I would say it's healthiER than your average pot pie recipe. Definitely better for you than Marie Calendar's!
This was tasty, although my favorite part was the crust (not from scratch). Charlie thought it was a little bland, so maybe next time I'll add more spice. I don't know. You can substitute the apple juice for a dry white wine. Funny how we didn't have wine, but did have apple juice. You'd think we have kids, but we don't. I got this recipe at the library last weekend from a magazine. I don't remember which one though...sorry!

Oh! and if you remember from the dill pork tenderloin I used too much dill because it was supposed to be fresh. This is the ratio for fresh to dried...3:1...so in this recipe I used 1 tsp. dried thyme instead of 1 T fresh.

Chicken Pot Pie

1 lb chicken breast
1 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 carrots, diced (I used half a small bag of baby carrots)
3 T flour
1/2 C apple juice
2 C milk
10 oz frozen peas
1 T fresh Thyme
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
9 in pie crust (the frozen kind you unroll)

Heat oven to 400°. Cook chicken in a pot of simmering water 10-12 minutes until cooked through (165°). Shred.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a saucepan on high heat. Add onions and carrots. Cook for about 7 minutes. Reduce heat to a low med-high (a 6 on my stove). Sprinkle with flour, stirring, for about 1 minute. Add apple juice and cook for 5 minutes. Add milk and cook for just a couple minutes. Stir in chicken peas, thyme, salt, and pepper.

Transfer to pie dish. Cover with crust and seal edges. Cut vents in crust. Bake for 35 minutes on a baking sheet.