German Chocolate Cupcakes

My sister, Krystal's birthday was last week! I made her German chocolate cupcakes for her birthday! She loves these, but normally gets her love from a box. I was nervous about making them from scratch, afraid I wouldn't be able to compete with the ready made stuff. I recently bought the new Martha Stewart Cupcakes cookbook. This is my new favorite cookbook! I love everything about it. All the recipes sound great and there is a picture for every cupcake! These were delicious!
The picture is taken from Martha's website. I wanted to make mine layered like this, but my cupcakes didn't rise enough. The tops turned out flat. It's because I didn't have my eggs to room temperature. They were still yummy!

German Chocolate Cupcakes
Source: Martha Stewart Cupcakes

3/4 cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
2 cups Cake Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
3/4 teaspoon Salt
1 1/3 cup Sugar
3 large Eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 cup of buttermilk
5 ounces Semisweet Chocolate, melted and cooled

Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.

Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy on medium speed in electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well each time, and scraping down sides. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk and beating until combined each time. Beat in chocolate.

Fill cupcake pans 3/4 way full. Bake about 20 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

***I didn't have buttermilk. To make your own add a T of vinegar to regular milk and let sit for about 10 minutes.

Coconut-Pecan Frosting

3 large Egg Yolks
1 can (12 oz) Evaporated Milk
1 1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
1 1/2 sticks (12 T) unsalted butter, cut into T, room temperature
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/4 teaspoon Salt
2 2/3 cup (7 oz) Sweetened Coconut Flakes
1 1/2 cups (6 oz) pecans, toasted and chopped

Combine egg yolks, evaporated milk, and brown sugar in a saucepan. Add butter, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick, about 10 minutes.

Stir in vanilla, salt, coconut, and pecans. Let cool completely.