Cherry Coke Cupcakes

I love to bake. Without a job, I have plenty of time to do it! For me the fun is in baking AND eating the finished product. If it were just for the sweets I would buy a premade sweet or a ready mix. That's not enough, I want to do it from scratch! So today, in my boredom, I made these....
They were delicious! This was an awesome cupcake. They weren't dry or crumbly. They were perfectly moist and so yummy! I would make these again! And I can honestly say, after eating just one I was satisfied! They weren't too difficult to make, you should try them!

***If you go to the original source for this recipe you will see a difference in her pictures:

1. The Coke frosting. Hers is darker. I'm not sure why. I have 3 philosophies: she calls for icing sugar...what is that!? After doing an Internet search I found it was powdered sugar. So maybe there is a little bit of a difference. OR, I used a knock-off brand of Coke. GT Cola from Aldi's. OR, she's Canadian...things are different up there. :) Right? Or should I say, Eh?

2. The top layer of frosting. Her original recipe calls for cherry buttercream. When I read the comments on her recipe she made these a second time with the whipped cream frosting and said it was better. While I haven't tried the buttercream on these I would go with the whipped cream...it was perfect and light! I'm afraid the buttercream would be too much.

Cherry Coke Cupcakes
Source: Coco Bean

Cupcakes
1 1/2 Cups flour
3/4 Cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg
1/2 Cup buttermilk (see hint below)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 Tbs cocoa powder
3/4 Cup Coca-Cola
1/4 cup maraschino cherry syrup
24 maraschino cherries

Cola Icing
1 cup Powdered sugar
2 tbsp cola

Whipped Frosting
6 oz whipped cream
2 T maraschino cherry syrup

Preheat the oven to 350°. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Beat the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla in a second bowl. In a saucepan, boil the Coca-Cola, and cherry syrup gently for five minutes. Melt in the butter and cocoa powder. Pour into the dry ingredients, stir well with a wooden spoon, and then add the liquid ingredients, beating until everything is blended. Pour into the cupcake pans and push a cherry into the center of each cupcake. Bake for 15 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. When cool drizzle over the Cola Icing and let dry. Mix together whipped frosting. Top with cherry whipped cream and a cherry.

***HINT: I think I have posted this before...I didn't have buttermilk. I just don't see the sense in buying it when I can make my own without a whole carton going to waste. For one cup of buttermilk: 1 c milk mixed with 1 T vinegar. Let stand 5 minutes. So I just halved it for this recipe!

If you make these let me know! I loved them!