Chicken Fried Steak

I have been excited about cooking this for 2 weeks now! And what did I do...screw it up! After a few tears (yes, I cry over failed dinner attempts-don't judge!), some words, and a lot of frustration, I somehow managed to salvage this dinner! Next time I make it I will do it right! A lot of things went wrong with this, some my fault and some not! First, (reminder to self) DO NOT forget to tenderize the meat! The meat needs to be pounded thin or it won't cook through the way the recipe states and you will have to cook it in the oven the rest of the way through.

This was not a healthy dinner, especially when you serve it with the mashed potatoes I made tonight :)

I didn't get a picture of this dinner, but you should check out Ree's blog...she has phenomenal step by step photos of her recipes.

Chicken Fried Steak
Source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks

3 lb. cube steak
2 eggs
1 1/2 C milk, plus 2 C for the gravy
3 C all-purpose flour, plus 1/3 C for gravy
2 tsp. seasoned salt
3/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 C vegetable oil

Put the eggs and 1 C milk in a pie dish. Mix together. On another plate, mix 3 C flour with the seasoned salt, paprika, cayenne pepper and black pepper. Lightly season a piece of meat with salt and pepper. Dip in the egg mixture, coating both sides. Coat in flour. Dip again in the egg mixture and then back in the flour. Place on a clean plate. Repeat with the remaining pieces of meat.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry 3 pieces of meat a time. Cook on one side until the edges start to look brown, about 2 1/2 minutes. Turn and cook 2-3 minutes on the other side. Place on a paper towel lined plate and keep warm. repeat with remaining meat.

Pour the grease into a heat proof bowl. Using the same greasy pan, don't clean it, add 1/4 C grease back to the pan. Heat over medium-low heat. Sprinkle 1/3 C flour evenly over grease and mix with a whisk. ****I didn't seem to have enough grease off of my meat and this step messed up for me. I added a little (1 T) of oil to the pan to supplement.**** When the mix looks golden brown, pour in 2 C milk, whisking continuously. Let the gravy come to a slow boil. Stirring occasionally, let thicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over steak.