Baked Ziti

So I wasn't going to blog about this one, but Charlie really liked it! And when I like a recipe he doesn't it makes it to the blog...shouldn't it be the other way around as well? Don't get me wrong, it was good and edible. I just wasn't sure about the taste. It was too spicy for me and I'm not a fan of feta cheese. I just realized I put 3 tsp of sugar instead of 3 T. That probably accounts for the spicyness! And maybe if switched the feta out for something else I'd like it a lot better. This recipe makes a ton! So if you're not feeding more than 2 people I would definitely half it. Charlie's says it's much better the second day! It's going to take us days to finish this one! Let me know what you think!

Baked Ziti
Adapted from Short Stop

1 pound ziti or penne
1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 T sugar
2 tsp salt
3 T Italian Seasoning
3 T dried thyme
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
3/4 C Parmesan cheese, shredded and divided
2 C mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided

Cook pasta until al dente. Drain. Return to pot and add sour cream, chopped bacon, feta, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, sugar, salt, thyme, and crushed red pepper flakes. Simmer for 10 minutes allowing flavors to combine and until heated through. Set aside.

Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon 1 C of tomato sauce into the bottom of the dish. Spoon 1/2 of pasta mixture over sauce. Top with 1/2 of remaining tomato sauce. Sprinkle with 1 C of mozzarella and 1/4 C Parmesan cheese. Top with remainder of pasta mixture, remainder of tomato sauce, and sprinkle top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Cover lightly with foil, and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Remove foil and broil for 3 minutes, or until top is golden.