Turkey (or Chicken) Pot Pie

We had so much leftover turkey from Thanksgiving! I cooked a small turkey breast for the two of us, gave some to my sister, ate off of it for a day or two, and still had turkey leftover! So I made a pot pie with it! Believe it or not, there was still enough turkey left for a sandwich, but I don't care if I see any turkey for quite some time!

This recipe was for chicken pot pie, but I used the turkey. If you remember I made a healthy version of pot pie some time back. Charlie was NOT a fan! He loved this one. My pie plate is at my mom's so I made it in a square casserole dish. I also didn't make my own crust and only had one crust in the freezer. I wish I had used a double crust, next time!

I don't know if you can tell, but I tried to get creative with the crust when piercing it to vent. It has our monogram :)

Turkey Pot Pie
Source: Pillsbury

1/3 C butter
1/3 C onion, chopped
1/3 C all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Poultry seasoning (my addition)
1 can (14 oz) chicken broth
1/2 C milk
2 1/2 C shredded cooked turkey or chicken
2 C veggies (I used peas and carrots), if frozen, thawed

Heat oven to 425. Line a pie plate with crust.

In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. Stir in broth and milk. Cook and stir until bubbly and thickened. Add in turkey (chicken) and vegetables. Remove from heat. Spoon into crust. Top with second crust and seal edges. Cut slits in crust to vent.


Bake 30-40 minutes. During last 15 minutes cover edges with foil to keep from burning. Let sit for 5 minutes to cool before serving.