Amish Puff Cookies

I saw these cookies on a blog I didn't follow. Then a few weeks later I remembered them, but didn't know where I had seen them. After a lot of searching I found them! And I'm so glad I did! This recipe can be made with or without the chocolate chips. I made it with them...yummy! The cookbook this comes from says to not roll them in the cinnamon and sugar if you use the chocolate chips. I did and they were yummy! Although, I may use less cinnamon next time. I would also like to try these with the chocolate chips and without the cinnamon and sugar...AND no chocolate chips with the cinnamon and sugar. So much baking to do!

This recipe only made 24 cookies. This can be a good thing and a bad thing. GOOD: less calories available to consume. BAD: They'll be gone too quick! :)


Amish Puff Cookies
Source: Erin Cooks

1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg

optional:
1 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon (I used 3 tsp, which is 1 T)

In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Set aside.

With a mixer, cream together butter and sugars. Add egg. Gradually add in the flour mixture. Refrigerate batter for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350. Add in chocolate chips, if using. Mix together cinnamon and sugar. Roll balls of cookie dough, about 1 T of batter each. Roll in cinnamon and sugar. Bake on lined (parchment paper) cookie sheet. Spread apart because they puff and spread! Bake 8-10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.