Hillary Rodham Clinton's Chocolate Chip Cookies

Okay, let me start this by saying if you're not a Hillary fan you should still eat these cookies! I by no means am a fan of Hillary or her husband, but hey I know a good cookie when I eat one! :) Besides, I highly doubt she actually makes these herself or came up with the recipe. I remember when I was younger, my step mom, Cindy, made Barbara Bush cookies. I think every President and his wife comes out with a cookie recipe. If I remember correctly, George W. Bush had cowboy cookies. Anyway, these were yummy, so don't turn away because of political views. I don't think eating these cookies makes you a Liberal :)


I want to say two things about baking cookies:

1. Use a cookie scoop. I didn't always have one of these. They make your cookies perfectly round and the same size. They also make it go quicker in getting them onto the pan and into the oven.
2. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper. I don't bake cookies without this stuff! They keep the cookies from sticking and burning! The bottoms are perfect!


Hillary Rodham Clinton's Chocolate Chip Cookies
Source: White House Cookbook


1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 C shortening
1 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 C rolled oats
12 oz (about 2 C) semisweet chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350°. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside. Beat shortening on medium speed. Add sugars. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Beat in flour mixture. Stir in oats and chocolate.

Drop by rounded teaspoons on cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

Makes 4-5 dozen. (I got 4)