Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Yum, yum, yum! I came across this recipe on Annie's Eats. I was debating whether to make this pound cake recipe or my MawMaw's. I went with this one because it has the butter. Butter makes everything better. My grandma's calls for shortening. I felt this was a truer pound cake. Turns out this is the same recipe my mom used for her wedding cake. Get this...she made her own! My mom, with some help from her sisters and a friend, made her own wedding cake... from scratch, without a Kitchenaid mixer. I know a lot of people make their own, but hers was gorgeous! I wish I could find a picture to post for you. It looked so professional. When we got married the thought of making my own cake made me cry. So $350 later I had a beautiful and delicious cake and some time on my hand. Maybe we should have tried it.

Okay, so do you know the history of the pound cake? It's not called a pound cake because you gain a few pounds. Although, you probably will! It's because a traditional pound cake called for a pound of butter, sugar, and flour. Also, most cakes call for some sort of leavener...like baking soda. Pound cake does not. Pound cake gets it's rise from all the air in the batter. So get ready to beat!
I made one loaf and 24 mini bundt cakes with extra batter left over!

Cream Cheese Pound Cake
Source: my mom and Annie's Eats

1 1/2 C unsalted butter, room temp.
8 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
3 C sugar
6 large eggs, room temp.
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
3 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt

Preheat the oven to 325°. Butter and flour your pan. Combine the butter and cream cheese together with a mixer on medium speed. Add the sugar, cream together on high for at least 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl when needed. Mix in vanilla and almond. Add in the flour and salt and mix together.

Pour the batter evenly into the pan. Smooth out the top of the batter. Bake until golden brown. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.

Cooking times...
Bundt cake: 75 minutes
Mini Bundt cakes: 18 minutes
Loaf Cake: 60 minutes

For the sauce...
This was so easy and so yummy! I bet it would be even better in the peak of strawberry season. I had to look up what coulis even meant. According to Wikipedia, it's a fruit or vegetable made into a sauce by pureeing and straining. I don't have a fine sieve, so I skipped that step. It was still delicious!

Strawberry Coulis

2 C strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/4 C water
3 T sugar
1 T fresh lemon juice

Combine all the ingredients in a food processor. Puree until smooth and then strain through a fine mesh sieve to remove the strawberry seeds. Cover and refrigerate. Serve cold.